Saturday 2 February 2013

Plumbing services...

Having read a page of a DIY manual I headed to the DIY store in search of a cranked spanner. I'd disconnected the old tap and taken it with me. I said that I didn't expect them to have a replacement for it as our pipes are from 1960 and I'd been informed that they were not the modern standard size. The bloke looked a little perplexed and explained that pipes were pipes and that they did not change in the sixties like our money did.

So the plumber who said we had to have all new pipework was just trying to turn a cheap, quick job into a more costly full days work?!

I went home armed with replacement taps and it all went swimmingly until I turned the water back on. The connection was leaking. A lot.

A little tiny squashed and broken washer had fallen out of the connection and I had disregarded it. I was now beginning to think it had an important role to play. As it was knackered I had to go back to the DIY store with the little washer in an envelope. 26p later we headed for home and tried again.


Utter perfection! No leaks! A working hot tap! And a slightly eclectic look I think you'll agree. I might even replace the cold tap too for the sheer hell of it! (But not today...)
This bathroom is hopefully being ripped out this year (not by me!) so I was going for function over beauty in the short term.
But I am available for tap changing, being an expert now! If you too are seeking a mismatched look, don't mind that it takes me three days to complete a job and have a supply of old towels for when it doesn't go to plan, then do bear me in mind!

Linking with Faith Hope and Charity shopping
  And PJH Designs

14 comments:

  1. Well done you! Plumbing completely terrifies me- water is just no good at following orders and staying within the zones I want it too. Perhaps I should try reading a page of a book though- as I always worry we're getting told our plumbing needs more work than it really does :s xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can do it, anyone can! Never trust a plumber! They take one look at our bathroom and try and convince us that anything we can do to save it is futile and we need to rip the whole thing out. We do need to rip it all out, but only when we have the money to do it! And the job won't go to someone who can't change a tap!
    Apparently the bath taps can't be changed. We'll see! I'm on a roll now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no stopping you now - those bath taps are clearly living on borrowed time!
    Good for you for persevering, and discovering your plumber was trying to rip you off. I am not inclined to think the bathroom refit job will go to him after that. You could give it a go yourself, being an expert now...! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did cross my mind for a millisecond as I typed ''not by me'' but it's such a big job, I fear it's not the same as changing a tap. I shall watch and learn! xxx

      Delete
  4. Very well done. My slogan is "I will never be defeated by an inanimate object" (but I've never tried to fit a new tap!) Having told hubs all about your plumbing, we've now had a row and a tour of inspection of our last plumbing event. I was wrong - the old pipes are the same size but the "drain off" was wrong in some way and too close to a bend and the stop cock... Lost count of how many trips to B&Q were involved, one was for things that look like wedding rings. Our last house had lead pipes up to the bathroom. Eek. Here's ours. Why is plumbing so hard to get to? http://assets3.pinimg.com/upload/104216178849226605_5rQEKy8C_c.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you! How come you aren't keeping your shabby chic basin? It's not like it was gruesome pink like the one we finally got rid of in old home after 20+ years of living with and hating it! ;-) Don't worry, we got rid of a similar basin in new home, while it was of an age and design that fitted the house I wanted a more modern and sleek bathroom. We still have the old basin down the bottom of the garden - if we ever get a decent summer again I have plans to set it up and grow trailing plants in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the basin but it overhangs the bath by a few inches as it's a small room and a huge basin. If we can change the layout we might get to keep it. But it makes the bathroom look even smaller to have it overhanging the bath! x

      Delete
  6. Hmm, changing layout in a bathroom can be a bit difficult cos it's easier to go with pipes where they are already. Especially the soil pipe! Good luck with the makeover when it finally happens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha, good skills! Come over and sort out my loo, I'll provide you with tea and a polar bear shaped biscuit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! You showed him! lol I may need your new skills one day and will keep you in mind. :-) Thanks for sharing at Transformed Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job.. Having told hubs all about your plumbing, we've now had a row and a tour of inspection of our last plumbing event

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job on executing a perfect DIY, Emma. Did you happen to encounter problems after your repair? Having proper knowledge is a must when you are doing a DIY repair with your faucet or sink. Leaks are one problem that would cause more harm if left untreated. Just make sure to check your tap from time to time for possible repairs to prevent leaks.

    Daryl Iorio @Milani.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's utter perfection thank you! No leaks. I now have proper knowledge!

      Delete

I love to hear your comments!