Tuesday 4 November 2014

My daughters bedroom update...

Sooo... we finally agreed on a colour! We both like the white walls so we've decided to paint the furniture a pink colour. We went into a shop where they had Annie Sloan tester pots and she chose a pale pink called Antoinette. I don't want to use Annie Sloan paint as it's not really my thing but I managed to find an 'Oops' paint in our DIY store which is very similar so we'll go with that.

I need to paint her her chest of drawers...



bedside table, (hate this Wedgewood look!) 



and her dressing table and stool...



 I got this a while ago for a really great price on a local facebook selling page. I have a matching triple mirror but at the moment she just likes to use it as a desk for writing and playing.



Before I paint these three pieces, I need to get glass tops cut for them. I'm yet to find out if that will involve driving each piece to a nearby town or whether I can just take in a template.

And it's not going to be cheap.

So I'm not rushing this. Still need to get that kitchen sorted!

But what I have done is I made a new valance/dust ruffle to embrace our new colour direction.




I've had this fabric in my stash for decades, having picked it up at Boyes in York.


It's sweet, girly and hopefully a little 'vintage farmhousey' too!


Connies bed is taller than most and as it's iron I have to make valances for it with split corners. The last one I did was tailored as I didn't have much fabric. The blue toile de juoy matched the old curtain.


This time we've gone for full on ruffles. I hope it doesn't look too eighties!


Jason says we need a few more cushions on the bed. He's a comedian.

That's 'Cat' on the bed. The predecessor of Bad Bobby and Fat Freddy. Connie picked him out from a toy shop when she was 7 months old and she spoke her first word, also 'cat' at the same time. (This might be Cat mark 15. We've had a few and I still have a few brand new ones stashed away! Thank you ebay. I think she could actually live without him now she's eight.)

So anyway, shortly after we'd decided on this pale dusky pink, I recieved the most BEAUTIFUL gift from our VIX.  Perfect synchronicity! She's got special powers that girl!


It's a rectangular shape so I've folded it in half here. The other side...






...is a bit more pink.


Isn't it divine?




It needs some mends where the fabric has worn out, but as luck would have it, I have a pile of the correct vintage patches to applique some over the worn parts.




And what to make with it? It's not big enough for a quilt. More cushions to annoy my husband?

I LOVE these...


...but what a shame to only see them at Christmas.

This? Maybe Connie and I could make one of these together...

source

I adore this! It looks sooo old and grungy. It's actually stained to look that way! Clever. Connie might not agree...

source
 Or I could even frame it with a vintage window. Got a few of those lying around!


source


Oh the possibilities! A huge thank you to Vix! xxx

22 comments:

  1. Oh, it looks gorgeous. I'd be delighted to have that room as my bedroom.
    I adore that 1950s-esque French inspired furniture and despite not being a fan of Jasper ware love the Wedgwood Blue bedside table.
    How funny that Connie's first word was cat. A crazy cat lady in the making.
    Love the window idea for the quilt. I never had to heart to chop it, I've passed the responsibility on to you - sorry! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about cutting it but it's not a good shape for a curtain or a quilt. Just think, I can make TONS of gorgeous little things with it!

      Delete
  2. Oh you lucky thing, that is such a beautiful patchwork and I'm sure you'll work your magic on it! Your little girls bedroom is gorgeous, but having been reading your Blog for a while now, I can literally feel you itching to get painting! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh God, I totally am! So bogged down with non blogworthy things at the moment!

      Delete
  3. Can I move in? I have some of the same style furniture...my Sindy/French Louis specials! I love it so much and picked up from all over the place; Mr B even bought a dressing table home on the train(!) from Exmouth Market down the road from The Wells. (Those were the days...it's touch and go whether you can even take a bicycle on a train nowadays!) That's my favourite one. You can't paint the cream pieces, surely????
    You have inspired me with making my dust ruffle. It was KS and too big so I cut it down. Now we have a KS bed and it's too small! Ha!!
    Zxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It is Sindy furniture isn't it? We have some of that somewhere too!
      I saw that furniture painted PURPLE once and it looked amazing, but not for me. The cream paint is very tired and dinged. And what on earth is the point of having furniture that you can't paint!?!

      Delete
  4. That quilt from Vix is amazing. Lucky you; can't wait to see what you make with it. It will be lovely, I'm sure!
    Zxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of making a patterned valance, the Boyes fabric is very vintage-looking. Not 80s at all. You are a Jill-of-all-trades!
    Just had to smile as I had the 3 storey Sindy house with the lift at the side with all the furniture...It had a working shower too in 70s orange :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh you lucky girl! One of my friends had it and I lusted after it!

      Delete
  6. Connie's room is looking lovely, and you've obviously agreed on a great compromise regarding colour and pattern.
    The patchwork from Vix is right up your alley - she's a clever girl! The stockings are lovely, as are the cat and the frames, but I'm struggling a bit with the stained heart...Is it a metaphor? Or just mucky?!
    My kids were all far more interested in saying cat than mum, little buggers. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore that dirty little heart! I have to do that patchwork justice. A dirty heart might not be quite right...

      Delete
  7. What a fantastic present!! Those stockings are stunning - and the cat is adorable. I say make both - and who says stockings have to be only for Christmas?!
    xxx
    P.S. You're definitely one of the most prepared mothers I know- back-up versions of favourite toys is seriously impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! We could have Christmas stockings every Saturday! Why not?
      OMG, we had one cat firmly attatched to the stroller, one that stayed at work as Connie came with me, one at my dads, one at my father in laws, and a cupboard full! We lost our first one on Ealing Common and I made Jason go out to search in the rain for it. Then we made LOST TOY CAT posters for all the lampposts! Never turned up but we leaned our lesson!

      Delete
  8. Oh Em what a feast for the eyes ...I love the furniture so much I keep scrolling back up...no wonder you are itching to paint and of course the patchwork OMG.....it's right up my alley as you know!
    Maybe one large floor cushion the sort that you can lie on or sit up against xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg, it's the perfect shape for a floor cushion but sadly it's far too delicate. It would be a floor cushion that no one would be allowed to sit on!

      Delete
  9. I love the fabric you used for the valance, and that patchwork is fabulous!
    My younger daughter chose pale pink to go with green and white in her recent bedroom makeover, and my elder daughter is busy planning the decor and painting furniture for her new home, which is very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink, green and white is a lovely combination. Very English country cottage I think.

      Delete
  10. So pretty, I always feel inspired when I read your posts. I'm slowly working on Miss Macs bedroom, slowly because I love it just the way it is with soft grey walls, turquoise accents and lots of little mirrored things (I must actually do a post on it before it disappears!) but she wants a change ... The valance looks perfect and I've always adored that rug next to her bed. I'm sure you will think of something perfect to do with that beautiful patchwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, lets see Miss Macs room! If only I could talk Connie into soft grey!

      Delete
  11. You've got some really lovely furniture pieces in your daughter's room. I've made templates of table tops and had the glass shop cut me pieces out of old plate glass windows. The glass is extra thick and a few scratches don't bother me in the least! I love the vintage quilt and the bed ruffle, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Vickie, I've done that too in the past but the last time I tried, they got arsey and wanted the actual furniture as it was curved...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello , I have just found your blog and love your daughters bedroom , I wish i had a little one to create a really girly bedroom for , its beautiful

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!